Thursday, May 1, 2008

WebMd: Women With Depression Have Special Considerations

WebMd reports:

By Jeanie Davis
WebMD Health

Depression can be a vague word, too often used to describe a whole range of emotions. There are many causes, for both men and women. For women, however, the causes are often gender-specific, whether it be the rigors of being a woman in the new millennium, biology, or a haunting past.

Although depression is not always easy to define, when you're in it, you know it -- even if you don't know what to call it. For Alice, depression started nearly 20 years ago, when she was a senior at Yale University and a part-time waitress. Sure, she came from a dysfunctional family (one parent was an "abusive raging alcoholic"), but she was "the happy middle child, caretaker of the others," she tells WebMD. "At Yale, I had a great life."

One day -- out of the blue -- "a huge gray cloud of self-hatred moved into my forehead," says Alice.

"I couldn't breathe," Alice explains. "I was dizzy. For some unknown reason, I wanted to kill myself. I didn't know what to do."

Read more...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification